Thursday, 23 April 2015

Experiencing Tihar



Hello people!! My name is Ankush Chabbra, I am a second year student of Delhi College of Arts, pursuing masters in Art Management. I have been a part of the Delhi Street Festival since two years. Under this programme, we have painted many flyovers and underpasses, a few landmark buildings and some cold storages in the capital.  The idea behind the festival is to create a dialogue with everyday commuters and bring art into the public domain. In its second edition, our Street Art Delhi, an urban art festival, is spread over areas like South Extension, Lodhi Colony, Khan Market, Azadpur, Moolchand and would also cover two special projects - rain baseras and Delhi buses.

Recently we were told to adorn the boundary walls of Tihar jail under a two months contract. We were informed that we will be helped by some of the inmates of Tihar as well. The feeling was a mix of excitement and fear. This was because whenever I used to listen to the word 'jail', I used to think of a place of darkness and crime. A place inhabiting the wrongdoers and socially unacceptable. It was hard to think that any life could exist in such a place. But after visiting Tihar Jail and interacting with the inmates, my perception about jails have gone under a full transition.

I have got an immense pleasure to be a part of making a dead city walls come alive with rejuvenating graffities and beautiful paintings. Tihar jail New Delhi complex is the biggest jail in Delhi. I, personally feel very happy in making the life of prisoners colorful. After working with some of the immensely talented artists of Tihar, I have no doubt in stating that Tihar jail is a powerhouse of creativity and talent. The ideas presented and discussed by the inmates could only be thought by a person who has undergone that particular experience. I truly got inspired by all. I am very happy to be part in making the graffies in Tihar jail. It’s a new way of interacting, educating the people.


No comments:

Post a Comment